We are focused on providing enhanced real estate returns through a mix of cash flow and appreciation for our clients. We do this by operating a highly-sophisticated, proprietary investment strategy that allows for the ability to generate positive returns in flat or declining markets, and outsized returns in rising real estate markets. All of our investments are well secured by high-value, well- maintained residential and commercial real estate.
How We Got Started
As former institutional investment professionals, we view today’s volatile equity and fixed income markets as expensive and risky, and we were looking for a better strategy to invest our own money. We knew other investors were looking for a better alternative, offering higher returns with lower risk and thus, Pacific Point Capital was born. We are large investors in the fund and will remain significant investors. We feel fortunate to invest side-by-side with our clients and now you can leverage our real estate expertise for yourself.
Our Investment Philosophy
- Always put the client first. We treat your investment as if it were our own.
- Focus on principal protection, while striving to maximize returns and minimize risks. Successful investing is first and foremost about risk management. We are fundamentally risk-averse, long-term focused investors who would rather give up some of the “upside” to mitigate and limit our downside risk. We invest in high quality, well-located assets which historically have been less susceptible to market declines.
- Identify and target attractive markets with good long-term appreciation potential. We engage inefficient and fragmented markets that require specialized knowledge and expertise. We actively look for long-term trends and prefer to invest with the wind at our back. For example, we are currently taking advantage of the opportunity to provide non-bank liquidity to both real estate investors and homeowners. Many of these homeowners have a significant amount of their net worth trapped in their home with no way to access this underutilized asset. These properties are generally located in very desirable urban neighborhoods where demand is strong and supply of high-quality properties is limited.
- Make investments in assets, people, and markets that we understand and know well. We seek investment opportunities that require capital, plus specialized knowledge and skills. This powerful combination generally results in higher returns per unit of risk and a strong point of view about value and investment risk factors.
- Invest for the long-term and remain flexible. Markets continually evolve, and successful investors adapt to change. We aim to invest in a diversified pool of high-quality, well-located real estate assets that can provide a significant and reliable combination of income and long-term appreciation. Both private money mortgages and Home Equity Contracts have been shown to reduce overall portfolio volatility and increase returns, as these assets are not highly correlated with either the stock or bond markets.
Founder & President
Prior to founding Pacific Point Capital, LLC, Mr. Winship was a Principal, Senior Managing Director, and Investment Committee member of Relational Investors LLC “Relational”, a $6 billion activist investment fund. While at Relational, Mr. Winship managed all aspects of Relational’s investment strategy, led the investment team responsible for idea generation, stock selection, and investment strategy in various industry sectors including Relational’s financial and insurance investments and was responsible for overseeing Relational’s marketing and client services department. Mr. Winship has over 20 years of investment experience including knowledge in the areas of investment management, real estate investment, real estate lending, investment research, securities and business valuation, corporate governance, mergers, acquisitions, and investment banking. Mr. Winship also has over 25 years of real estate investment experience personally investing in a wide range of real estate investments including apartments, residential real estate, new construction, construction loans and trust deeds. Mr. Winship previously served on the board of Excel National Bank where he was a member of Excel’s Loan Committee. Following the financial crisis, from 2009 to 2014, Mr. Winship served as Relational’s board representative related to the recapitalization of Guaranty Bank (ticker GBNK). Mr. Winship has served on the board of Esterline Technologies (ticker ESL) and has served on the boards of various private companies. Mr. Winship holds a bachelor’s degree in finance from the University of Arizona and an MBA from the University of California, Los Angeles. He is a Certified Public Accountant and holds the designation of Chartered Financial Analyst.
Chief Financial Officer
& Chief Operating Officer
Prior to this role with the Pacific Point Capital, LLC, Mr. Sitlani was the Chief Financial Officer, Chief Operating Officer, and Chief Compliance Officer of Relational where he worked closely with Mr. Winship for over 18 years. During that time, Mr. Sitlani was responsible for managing Relational’s corporate and fund administration functions, including regulatory compliance related to the firms investments, and served as Relational’s primary equity trader for over 7 years. Mr. Sitlani also worked with Mr. Winship on Relational’s marketing efforts, negotiated client contracts and was involved with all aspects of fundraising and client due diligence. Mr. Sitlani brings over 20 years of real estate investment experience, personally investing in a wide range of investments including hotels, senior living, retail, and residential real estate. Mr. Sitlani holds a bachelor’s degree in accounting from San Diego State University. He is a Certified Public Accountant and holds the designation of Chartered Financial Analyst.
- an investor
- a borrower